Thursday, July 13, 2006

"That's NOT What I'm Talking About"

There are at least three, maybe four movies out right now that have the phrase "that's what I'm talking about" in the trailer.

The phrase, which is pretty much the present day equivalent to someone exclaiming "You Go Girl!" or and old lady saying "fo-shizzle" right before she starts rapping. It's lame and incredibly played out.

Adam Sandler's latest pooper "Click" has him saying the phrase, the new animated movie "Monster House" has a cop saying it and the wonderous new film "Little Man" has one of the Wayans brothers crapping it out.

A lot of times, "that's what I'm talking about" is relagated to only black people saying it (the aformentioned "Little Man" and the clip for "Monster House" featured black guys saying it). Chris Rock has said it in like 20 movies so far. So I'm wondering if a black guy gets his script with "that's what I'm talking about" staring at him, is he like "shit, not again." I know actors are paid to say the lines written for them, but there has to be moment of embarrassment when they see this line in the script. The fact that it is so many movies right now should be a big red flag that it may have reached a point of no return.

It's just one of those dumb lines that took on a life of its own and now it's in tons of movies, TV and pop culture shlock. Every dork with a goatee and beer gut says it when his team scores a touchdown and stiff white dudes in suits say it to eachother when they close the big Johnson account...high fiving eachother at Shenanigans.

Somebody cool must have said it a long time ago and now it's just a stupid catch phrase uttered instead of doing the Macauly Culkin "YES/fist pump." But it's far lamer than that. Have you ever heard someone say it in real life? It's awkward and uncomfortable like someone you don't know very well telling you about the abortions they've had.

But thankfully all signs point to the phrase being on its way out. Just like when someone you know singehandedly sent "fo-shizzle" packing, "that's what I'm talking about" is now officially on its way out the door.

I did want to touch on the movie "Little Man" quickly before I sign off. It looks like they stuck a Wayans brother's head onto a dwarf's body to further the story line that he's a criminal hiding out pretending to be a baby...let the anal thermometer jokes and big dicks on a baby one liners begin!

Isn't this like employing a hispanic to play an Italian or a Chinese person to portray a Japanese geisha? Wasn't there plenty of black dwarfs available for this role? I know the one dude from Bad Santa was probably looking for work (shit, it may be his body they used) and what about the Geto Boys Bushwich Bill? I sure as hell would love to see him in a movie.

I know they have to feature a Wayans brother to sell the movie but jeez, cut the dwarfs some slack; they need to eat too. Bushwick Bill only has one eye for fuck's sake, you know he needs the cash.

JR

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That cool person was Jimi Hendricks in the song "Fire"

I'm not sure if anybody before him said it.

- - - - - -

Fire

You don't care for me
I don't care about that
Gotta new fool
I like it like that

I have only one burnin' desire
Let me stand next to your fire
Let me stand next to your fire
Let me stand baby
Let me stand next to your fire
Oh, ley me stand
Let me stand next to your fire
You got to let me stand
Let me stand next to your fire
Oh shucks
Yeah

You say your mom ain't home, you can't let me in
Well, i had to before i don't need you again

I have only one burnin' desire
Let me stand next to your fire
Let me stand next to your fire
Yeah, let me stand baby
Let me stand next to your fire
Oh, let my stand
Let me stand next to your fire
Let me stand
Let me stand next to your fire

Ah yeah move over rover
And let jimi take over
Yeah you know wayt i'm talking 'bout

That's what i'm talking about
You try to gimmie your money
You better save it babe
Save it for your rainy day

I have only one a burnin' desire
Let me stand next to your fire
Let me stand next to your fire
Yeah let me stand
Let me stand next to your fire
Oh, let me stand
Let me stand next to your fire
You know what i'm talken about